The officer’s quarters were in ruins until work began on the building in 2001. Using the same method that was used on the enlisted men’s barracks, of braces and turnbuckles to stabilize the walls and fireplace, the building was completed in 2003.
This single office’s quarters has always been known as the “Fountain House.” Not because a fountain is inside, but most likely because during early ranching times, a family by the name of Fountain resided in the quarters, and the nickname stood the test of time.
This building is one of the favorites on tour. The front room is most unusual because it is covered in graffiti. Dates from 1870 to 1981 decorate the old plastered walls with names and cities scratched upon its walls.
It was also discovered to be a “double” officer’s quarters just like the other set located east of this building along officer’s row. During a time when overhead electrical lines were being placed underground, a trench was dug near the west side of the present building, and another foundation was discovered. At that time, archeological work was completed. Many military and household type artifacts were recovered, showing there had definitely been another building at the site. Sometime during the ranching years, the rock had been moved, and most likely used to build other dwellings or foundations.